THE SPRING - NOW AND THEN

Hello all,


This season of spring is provoking me to describe the beautiful memories of Lahore festivals that I had participated in and enjoyed throughout the year or especially in spring. There were Horse and Cattle Show, Fire Work Show, National Industrial Exhibition, Music Concert, Basant, Art and culture exhibition, etc. My city Lahore, took lead to introduce “Food Street” which is still a place to spend some time with loving ones for the refreshment of the mind and tummy. But the atmosphere is not there anymore. Everyone has a threat of terrorism in their conscious. Even government-level functions are now being arranged within the walls under top security measures. The fear leads our children to spend most of their time at home on the internet. Internet activities are not bad but these are only activating our brain, eyes, and fingers. Our body and soul are not meant to be lazy. The human body needs some positive and enjoyable activity besides routine exercise.

We still have some events like Spring Flower Show, Birds Show, recent Pakistan Super League match, etc, but unfortunately, we are missing the festivity due to fear of terrorism. Actually, I was not in a mood to discuss this situation but it is now so deeply indulged in our daily life. I want to share the sense of festivity that I enjoyed a time ago. First of all, the live music and music concerts were my favorite most. I personally like to listen to it at Al-Hamra Open Theatre where I enjoyed both Sufi and Pop music. Especially, legendary Abida Parveen and Surayya Khanum are unforgettable.
 It was food for the soul to listen to them. Cinema is always a luxury, but cinema culture was also at its peak in Pakistan in the 80s and 90s. I was keen to watch my favorite movie according to my budget and there were three categories. Anyone can come and enjoy a movie or air-conditioner. I myself witnessed many people sleeping during the movie and if they were asked why and the answer was “we came here to sleep 3 hours in the cool environment”. Now a day, cinemas are providing many facilities as compared to old cinemas but they are also charging higher. A common person has to think many times before planning to go to multiplexes.

Then, the second but most participating occasion for me was Industrial Exhibition. Small Industries items were my most bought items for my home. During it, I always enjoyed the rush of different people around, being happy, fearless, and enjoying the environment. Food stalls were also a big fascination for all Lahoris. At that time, Fortress Stadium was not much captured with posh and expensive food chains. One could enjoy the available means. As far as Horse and Cattle were concerned, it was for promoting the dairy farming and at that time, I had less interest in it but various and colorful floats and Tattoo Show(Fireworks) was excellent to watch.

I also visited many arts-related exhibitions, although, I had less awareness of art at my young age, it was difficult to differentiate the category they had.
They were the same to me. Once, my friend in N.C.A (National College of Arts) invited our entire group to see their art exhibition. We all friends were very excited but that was all about abstract art.  Whenever we asked any painter what this is all about, the answer was the same,” it is our inner feelings”. We laughed and asked why it is inside you and not us. Well, it was fun and those boys were immature, now they must be at their best and so we can now at least understand a bit about their art.

“Basant” was always a day, the most memorable and enjoyable for all Pakistanis. I wrote a little on it before. The flower exhibition is also another favorite of all my family. I am thankful to officials that it is still being exhibited regularly in March throughout the country, in big cities. Different types of flowers and their arrangements always attracted my whole family a lot. I am also fond of gardening so there are always many things for me to learn and enjoy.

I am hopeful for a revival of all such festivals and many more because time has changed and so these should be modernized according to recent requirements. The need of the hour is to bring some opportunity for enjoyment and to provide a safe and calm environment for people to come and have fun. I also want to thank our Pak Army for their concrete steps and arrangements to stop criminal and terrorist activities.

Our children are our tomorrow and we must take care of them. We have a responsibility to provide them a safer environment for their minds and bodies along with an environment for entertainment and fun.


Best regard.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PSL - FINALLY THE MOST AWAITED EVENT AT LAHORE

SUPERSTITION

ARTICLE WRITING